top of page
Thomas Anderson and L.M. Leath bought a plot of land from King Gordon for $25.00. Built with material donated by Booker T. Washington, the new church was named Washington Chapel in appreciation. The first ordained minister was Reverend McClain. In 1909, Reverend Hatcher was assigned pastor. In his four years in Tuskegee, six organizations were added: The Steward Board, the Trustee Board, the Stewardess Board, the Missionary Society, the Sunday School and the Senior Choir. Under Reverend Upshaw, the church moved to a new home on Bruce Street, with a parsonage across the street. Washington Chapel expanded under the leadership of Reverend T. R. Newman, who lead the building of a basement, enlarged the choir stand, equiped the kitchen with a new gas stove, hot water heater and refrigerator, new pews, pulpit chairs and a communion table. An organ and exterior brick veneer were also purchased under Reverend Newman's leadership. In 1957, 18 acres were purchased on Old Montgomery Road where Washington Chapel is now located, under the direction of Reverend T. R. Brown. A new parsonage was built. In 1974, a 60-unit apartment complex was built on the lower six acres. Washington Chapel continues to be blessed with dynamic leadership, with Reverends Rouse, Davis, Billups and Michaels following Reverend Brown. Reverend Davis has been appointed Bishop, and will serve God in South Africa. Reverend Billups' father served as pastor in the mid-1950's and performed 73 baptisms during his tenure. When God called Reverend Billups home during his service Washington Chapel, Mrs. Billups chose to stay with us and serve as Church Secretary and President of the Missionary Society. Reverend Farrell J. Duncombe followed Reverend Michaels and Washington Chapel enjoyed four years of progress, including a remodeling of the Sanctuary and beautiful singing from Dijuana Duncombe. The music program was upgraded with a new organ and Warren Duncan was appointed Music Director. In June of 2007, Pastor Duncombe was called to St. Paul A.M.E. in Montgomery, Al. and we were blessed with Reverend W. Marshall from Mobile, Al. Washington Chapel welcomed Reverend Marshall as we are prepared to move forward to greater challenges in the future. Rev. Nathaniel Marcellius Copeland was assigned to Washington Chapel AME Church by Bishop James L. Davis, Ninth Episcopal District. He succeeds the Rev. Dr. W.E. Marshall who was assigned to Metropolitan AME Church in Mobile. On Nov. 16, 2014, the congregation of Washington Chapel AME Church welcomed the Rev. Dr. Andrew Theodore Holtz Jr. as the newly assigned pastor. Pastor Holtz received the assignment from the Rt. Rev. James L. Davis, Presiding Bishop of the Ninth Episcopal District (Alabama). On Jan. 1, 2017, the members and friends of Washington Chapel AME Church welcomed the Rev. Richard Carter Jr. as pastor. He was presented by the Rev. Dr. Letitia Watford, Presiding Elder of the Tuskegee District. Rev. Carter was transferred from Jones Chapel AME Church in Fairfield where he was assigned from 2014-2016.
bottom of page